At a media conference held at the Premier’s Office yesterday (Wednesday) Premier Stan Mathabatha announced that the Provincial Executive Council had earlier taken a decision to declare the province a disaster area through national prescripts.
“A thorough assessment of the draught situation has found that all district and local municipalities in Limpopo are facing the worst drought conditions recorded in years. The declaration will assist the Government to unlock the necessary resources to assist the affected communities,” Mathabatha said and added that the Limpopo Department of Agriculture and Rural Development had already set aside R3 million to assist affected farmers through the provision of livestock feed. This amount does not cover other areas such as human consumption.
Mathabatha said that it was for this reason that the Exco was unlocking other avenues, including the activation of the Drought Relief and Disaster Management Act of 2002, and that the Provincial Treasury and the National Department of Water and Sanitation will provide further assessments.
Mathabatha concluded by urging all residents of Limpopo to heed all calls to use water sparingly, respect water restrictions and observe all guidelines to save water.
Story: BARRY VILJOEN
Photo: Premier Stan Mathabatha announces the declaration of Limpopo as a disaster area.