full screen background image

UPDATE: Suspect arrested for Deacon murders; accomplices sought


13 September 13:00

One suspect has been apprehended and police are hot on the heels of an unknown number of accomplices, for the brutal murders of Lizette Deacon and her mother, Hettie.

Read more: Breaking: Breakthrough in Deacon murder case


11 September 09:50

Lizette Deacon and her mother, Hettie, were both stabbed to death, the police confirmed earlier this morning.

The murder of the two women last night sent shockwaves through the city.

Lizette Deacon was a prominent businesswoman and much-loved figure in several circles.

According to Brig Motlafela Mojapelo, the police’s Provincial Communications Head, a manhunt has been launched for those responsible for the murders.

“The bodies of the women were found with several stab wounds, and their hands had been tied. The vehicle was found abandoned along the R37, next to the Kushcke off-ramp, following a high density search operation that was launched soon after the attack.”

Even though the motive for the murders is unknown at this stage, robbery cannot be ruled out, he confirmed.

Two murder cases and one of robbery have been opened.
Anyone with information is requested to contact Colonel Linkie Mathebula on 064 756 8218 or 0860010111.


10 September 22:00

POLOKWANE – Police are currently on the crime scene on the R37 where the bodies of Lizette Deacon and her mother, Hettie, were found a short while ago, in what is believed to be Deacon’s vehicle.

While it wasn’t immediately clear how the women have died, an abduction earlier this afternoon is believed to have led to the incident.

Deacon was the owner of both Ocean Basket franchises in the city.

The perpetrators are still on the run.

This is a developing story.


POLOKWANE – The owner of two branches of Ocean Basket in the city, Lizette Deacon, and her mother, Hettie, have reportedly been missing since earlier this afternoon.

According to sources on the scene from the townhouse they stay in at Welgelegen, the two women have been abducted and a vehicle is also missing.

The station commander of the Polokwane Police Station has apparently been to the scene, where blood has been found in one of the rooms of the townhouse.

A source close to the situation who was supposed to meet one of the woman earlier today, confirmed that he went to the townhouse after she didn’t pitch for their appointment, and he found the townhouse to be in a shambles.

None of the women could be reached on their phones since around 17:00. According to an inside source, the vehicle is currently being tracked.

This is a developing story.

Story:Umpha Manenzhe