full screen background image
Thumbs up from Limpopo’s top three matriculants of 2017, Anza Tshipetane (18), Daniel Swarts (18) and Boitumelo Ngoepe (17).

Top three Lim matriculants share recipe for their success

1964

Working hard and concentrating on their studies throughout the year is the recipe to their success.
Top three matriculants in Limpopo, Anza Tshipetane (18) from Mbilwi Secondary School in Sibasa, Vhembe, Daniel Swarts (18) from Hoërskool Pieters­burg in Polokwane, and Boitumelo Ngoepe (17) from Dendron Secondary School in Mogwadi all agree that without these two key factors, they would not have achieved their impressive results.
Tshipetane, whose results secured her the top position in the province, said besides working hard all year, she had a really close relationship with her educators, without whose efforts she would not have succeeded. Her results were as follows: English 94%, Venda 88%, Mathematics 99%, Physical Sciences 96%, Life Sciences 100%, Geography 97% and Life Orientation 96%.
She plans to study Medicine at the University of Cape Town (UCT). “My advice to learners out there is that if they want to do well they should grab all the opportunities for learning thrown at them. If there are extra programmes or extra lessons, take part in them. You can never have enough knowledge,” she concluded.
Swarts, who came second in the province, said 80% of his success was the result of concentrating on his work during classes and the remaining 20% due to recapping the work done every night. His results speak for themselves: Afrikaans 91%, English 90%, Mathematics 98%, Accountancy 97%, Economics 98%, Life Sciences 96%, Physical Sciences 97% and Life Orientation 97%. He is planning to study Veterinary Science at the University of Pretoria. “To be successful, one has to have a balanced life that also includes social, sports and cultural activities. Most importantly remember that you can’t do it on your own. You need God on your side. Pray all the time,” was Swarts’s advice to other learners.
Boitumelo said besides hard work, discipline and focus were key to his success as well as the cooperation and support of his family, educators and God.
His results were: Pedi 87%, English 88%, Mathematics 99%, Accounting 100%, Life Sciences 97%, Physical Sciences 100% and Life Orientation 91%. He will be studying Actuarial Science at UCT.
“To succeed you need to set your own goals and never lose focus,” he advised other learners.
Education MEC Ishmael Kgetjepe congratulated the three achievers and encouraged them to always make their province proud in anything they do in future.

Story and photo: KAREN VENTER
>>karen@observer.co.za