Athletes of the local Run/Walk for Life athletics club were awarded for their hard work and achievements last year when the club held its annual prize giving recently.
By far the most awarded athlete was Emmanuel Mukondeleli. He was named Top Male Athlete, Male Runner of the Year over 10, 21,1 and 42 km as well Male Walker as of the Year in the 10 km and 21,1 km. He also received the trophies for Athlete of the Year and overall male Walker of the Year.
Elsabé Cronjé was named 10 km and 21,1 km Female Runner of the Year, Female Athlete of the Year as well as the 8 km and 10 km time trial female Runner of the Year.
Awards were also made in the following categories:
• Most Improved Male Runner: Ampie Pienaar
• 4 km time trial Male Runner of the Year: Bobby Sacco
• Ambassador of the Year: Thomas Magodi who was also named Most Improved Male Runner, 8 km and 10 km time trial Male Runner of the Year
• Most Improved Male Walker: Niel Janse van Rensburg who also shared the 4 km time trial Walker of the Year with Ig van der Merwe.
• Most Improved Female Runner: Brenda Bopape who was also named 4 km time trial Female Runner of the Year
• Comrades Female Athlete of the Year: Laetitia Geldenhuys
• 8 km time trial Female Walker of the Year: Yoelanda du Plessis
• 4 km Time Trial Female Walker of the Year: Ansie Marais
• Most Improved Female Walker: Priscilla van der Merwe
• 10 km and 21,1 km Female Walker of the Year, Female Walker of the Year and 8 km time trial Female Walker of the Year: Hester Myburgh.
Story and photo: RC Myburgh