The case against the suspects in the Anisah Moosa kidnapping case was provisionally withdrawn by the Mankweng Regional Court on Wednesday.
Limpopo Hawks Spokesperson Matimba Maluleke confirmed the withdrawal of the kidnapping charge against Samuel Kubo, Elias Masilo Gafane and Nyambeni Benny Mudau. Kubo and Gafana will however remain in custody while facing charges of murder, attempted murder and cash-in-transit robbery, among others.
The reason for the withdrawal, it was learnt, was the continuous postponement of previous appearances by the accused. Maluleke however said it was withdrawn for further investigation.
The trio was arrested soon after the alleged kidnapping of Moosa in March last year and released on R10 000 bail each in May. Kubo and Gafane nearly straightaway rearrested in connection with an alleged armed robbery and attempted murder after an incident at Apel Spar during December 2015. They appeared in the Sekhukhune Magistrate’s Court and was granted bail of R5 000 each on 25 May. Soon after their release Gafane was arrested again in Tzaneen and released on bail of R1 000 by the Tzaneen Magistrate’s Court on a charge of theft by false pretence.
The Mankweng Regional Court issued a warrant of arrest for Kubo and Gafane after they failed to appear before court on 18 January. Only Mudau was present.
Maluleke then said investigations during the search for the duo led the Hawks to Jane Furse Police Station where Gafane was being detained on charges of attempted cash-in-transit robbery, possession of suspected stolen vehicle and possession of unlicensed firearm. Further investigations led the Hawks to Mmakau Police Station in North West where Kubo was found to have been detained following his arrest on cases of murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, two counts of kidnapping and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.
Story: RC Myburgh