full screen background image
Education MEC Ishmael Kgetjepe.

Five-year-old learner electrocuted, dies

879

A five-year-old Grade R learner of Hamutsha Primary School in Hamutsha village, Makhado reportedly died yesterday (Wednesday) after allegedly being electrocuted.
A statement issued by the Department of Education this morning (Thursday) did not state where and how the incident happened. Departmental spokesperson, Sam Makondo said that they were still awaiting a complete report regarding the incident from the Vhembe district office. He said the department was deeply saddened by this tragic incident and sent deepest heartfelt condolences to the family.
Education MEC Ishmael Kgetjepe was quoted to have said: “This is no easy matter for the family, the department and the school community. No amount of words can ever soothe the pain of losing a young life and a loved one.”
Makondo said the department together with the Department of Social Development dispatched eight social workers to assist and counsel the family, learners and educators at the school to better cope and deal with the tragedy. He further stated that investigations would also ensue to understand fully the circumstances that led to this tragic incident.

Story & photo: ENDY SENYATSI
>>endy@observer.co.za